Thursday, January 12, 2012

Another Favorite Room









I had the awesome privilege of working with a 5 (1/2) yr old wonderful client recently.  Ok, Ok, I'll snap back to reality, but anyway, Macie has wanted her room made over for a quite a while now. Part of me was attached to her pink and pink room. http://thegrendahls.blogspot.com/2009/04/pink-and-pink.html She was 2 1/2 when we moved into our house, and she picked out her pink and pink colors like the little designer she is. She informed me that she is 5 1/2 now and needs a 5 yr old bedroom, not a 2 yr old bedroom.  Ok fine, so then I decided if we are doing a re-do, its got to top her pink and pink room.  This left me spending hours and hours obsessing over how to makeover her room.  Thankfully theres a wonderful thing called Pinterest, and wonderful ideas, pictures, and blogs to get me inspired.  I spent nights laying in bed dreaming up ideas, I had lots of ideas, but nothing that I felt was going to trump her room the way it was. 

Finally over Christmas break she made me commit to painting her room.   Her requirements were a tree on her wall, and a green room.  So green it was. Finding the perfect shade of green was another issue.  I didn't want minty green, lime green, or loud and obnoxious green.  I wanted a pretty mature green. I don't just go to the store, pick out a color, and have them mix it.  Nope, I bring home the paint chips, not just one, but many colors surrounding the color I think I want.  I tape them to the walls to see how they look in her room, with the lighting, the sun, the dark.  I peeled off a lot immediately and was left with nothing I loved.  Finally after a couple new stores, I found the green that spoke to us.  The coral and blush colors were easy though.  We fell in love with those immediately. 

After some taping off the stripes, many coats of paint, a tree painted on the wall, we have a 5 1/2 yr old room.  Next was finding accessories.  I couldn't find wall hangings that we feel in love with, so I painted some.  We love them. 

Next was to simplify her room. Macie has a lot of toys (a lot.)  We went through them, moved some to the toy room, donated some, and kept the ones she plays with the most in her room.  That left us with Barbies, and American Girl dolls.  I seen online a great idea to organize and display her American Girl collection.  I used a closet organizer and bought some bins and now her doll collection is nicely organized, easy to play with, and easy to clean! 

The end result is a 5 yr old inspired room that makes her happy and she shouts out a little happy squeal whenever she enters her room.  My theory is our house is our happy place, and every room should make you feel happy.  Macies room makes her feel happy (and me too!) 

2 comments:

Kevin and Megan said...

Nice work Sarah! You did such a good job! Wanna come to Fargo and do our baby room :)

Kevin and Megan said...

Nice job Sarah! Love it :) Wanna come to Fargo and do our baby room next?